Traffic Calming Guide for Traffic Management and Solution
a decade of history, traffic calming devices like radar speed signs have become
very popular. They are an integral part
of Intelligent Traffic Management system and are being used widely across many
nations. They are the best way to manage and control traffic in sensitive areas
like residential areas, hospitals, schools etc.
An important point to note here is that not many nations are well-versed with the traffic signing rules and guidelines.So, here we have compiled all the guidelines related to traffic calming device, radar speed sign.
What are radar speed signs?
Radar speed signs or Radar Speed Feedback Signs provide a real-time dynamic display of the speed of the vehicle at a particular location. These are often placed in areas where speeding or over-speeding has been reported a problem. When this is used together with regulatory speed limit sign, drivers get an instant update on their speed limit.
Conditions for Use:
The following conditions must be adhered before installing the radar speed signs:
· Areas where speed transition exist, for example, speed of 40 MPH posted 30 MPH
· Where posted speed is 35 MPH or lesser
· The 85th percentile of speed exceeds the posted speed by a minimum of 3 MPH during a time period.
· The above-mentioned speeds determine the radar speed installation, there are some technical requirements needs to be met -
· The installation of the feedback sign should be done along with the speed limit sign.
· It should include, “ YourSpeed--- MPH”.
· Usually, the radar speed signs have yellow legend displayed on black background or reverse of this colour.
· The display screen should go blank or no display in the speed limit exceed the defined speed.
· Once installed it should give the driver immediate display of their driving speed without any animation, flashing or any other dynamic signs.
· When these driver feedback signs are installed in sensitive areas like schools or hospitals, it should operate only when the school speed zone effect.
· The installation of the radar speed sign must not interfere with any other signs present in the area.
· The contact information of the municipality or authorities under whose jurisdiction the signage has been installed must be mentioned or displayed on the radar speed feedback sign.
Understanding these requirements and adhering to this not only helps the drivers but also the people who are living in the vicinity.
It has been observed that installing of traffic calming device helps in controlling the problem of overspeeding.
There are various features which make radar speed signs to be highly effective :
1. They are visible from a longer distance.
2. They give real-time information
3. They can be used to know the speed of approaching vehicles.
4. They can be easily mounted on car or police van, thus making the work of traffic authorities and easy one.
is one of the best ways to control and manage the traffic especially in areas
which are highly sensitive.